Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mets "not interested" in Manny?

I'm just going to tell myself that this is just a well-wishing New York press corps helping Omar and company maintain negotiating leverage over the Red Sox, because the alternative explanation is that my beloved team is being run by a bunch of clowns.

Newsday reported yesterday that "Team officials don't see Ramirez as a fit because of his behavioral issues."

Now this kind of thing is common enough in all professional sports that I should be able to read that sentence and not freak out, but I can't. Behavioral issues? You mean behaviors like hitting for power and average? No, they're referring to Manny's lack of hustle (home to first in about an hour) and antics (like this).

To that I say: "Give me all the laziness and clubhouse distractions a .300/.400/.540 hitter could possibly bring to Shea's left field."

A friend emailed today that he heard a Beltran for Manny and Ellsbury deal. That sounds a little too good to be true, but it's something to wish for. There's no way Omar really doesn't want Manny Ramirez. He's not my favorite GM but he's better than that.

Update:
To elaborate a bit on the scenario involving a trade of Beltran: it's not that I think Manny would be that much of an upgrade on Beltran, all things (especially speed and defense) considered, but I'm a Jacoby Ellsbury fan. Through May this year his OPS was over .800, and sure, it's gone south quickly, but he's still 24.

No comments: