Friday, July 25, 2008

John Edwards love child story: possibly true?

I consider the climb up the journalistic ladder from the National Enquirer to Fox to be pretty short, but Fox is now running with Edwards' late night altercation with tabloid reporters at the Beverly Hills Hilton.

The idea that John Edwards really has a secret love child with Rielle Hunter, and is having late night meetings with her at famous hotels so soon after having been a presidential candidate... well it strains credibility. If it's true, I will be devastated not only because the guy was my first choice for nominee, and I like Elizabeth Edwards a lot and she's got enough to deal with, but because Mickey Kaus has been a tireless promoter of the story when even Drudge was taking a pass. As Mickey proudly put it, it's not the first time he's pushed something that didn't meet Drudge's standards.

So the crowing he'll do if this is actually true will be unbearable. And, even considering the source, I have to admit the hotel encounter just doesn't sound at all good.

Update:
Here's a post of Mickey's back in December, which incidentally refers to Drudge teasing the Enquirer story, contra my point that Drudge ignored it. But I'm pretty sure (don't care enough to make sure) this isn't his first post on the story, and that he beat Drudge.

No comments: