Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Mets beat Braves... Despite Bizarre Lineup

Well I'll be damned. Another decidedly excellent start from Mr. Heilman.

The offense consisted of a 5-run outburst in the sixth innning, as the Mets chased Horacio Ramirez with a Piazza RBI double, followed by "back to back" 2-run jobs by Floyd and Wright. The 5-1 lead proved to be much needed insurance for Heilman's seven strong, as Roberto Hernandez (suspend your disbelief) nearly spit the bit by surrendering a 2-run homer to renowned slugger Pete Orr.

I confess I am partly happy to see Hernandez give it up in a situation where it doesn't cost the Mets a win. He really isn't good. He hasn't been especially good since 1999, back when he was only 34. To the extent possible, until Fortunato and Moreno get back, I would rather Willie not entrust too many vital innings to Roberto.

Of course, that two run lead shrank to one as the result of a couple of poor plays by David Wright at third. To that I say: BFD. The defense will come. Now can we talk about his being penciled in behind everyone including Chris Woodward in the batting order? I realize Diaz is also inexplicably hitting 8th, but he's on borrowed time despite his shocking, quadruple-espresso cup of coffee, so I'll give Willie a pass there. But Wright, besides being our starting third baseman (and no MLB 3B should be hitting behind Chris Woodward), also has his batting line up to .270/.395/.508.

Mike Piazza is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, and he's been great as a Met and I wouldn't want anything to lower his morale... but he's also a 36 year-old catcher, and at this point it's only admitting the obvious to say that his days as a cleanup "type" hitter may be behind him.

What would I do with the order? I'm glad you asked:

Reyes
Wright
Beltran
Floyd
Piazza
Cameron
Mientkiewicz
Matsui

I don't see the benefit of hitting Kaz Matsui 2nd in the order. He's not a good hitter (656 OPS), and in the current lineup he will come to bat more often than David Wright (903 OPS). There's no way Matsui's speed (and Wright has some himself) makes up for this obvious inefficiency.

Regardless, the Mets are sitting fairly comfortably at 11-9, a half game behind the JT Marlins and tied with the Braves, who will send Smoltz to the mound tonight against Pedro. It will be my first trip to Shea this season, and perhaps a unique opportunity to see both these guys healthy. I'm just kidding. Pedro's a rock.

Notes

Correction: Upon further review, if I'm going to yank one middle infielder from the top of the order on account of his hitting, I can't very well endorse Reyes, whose OBP=BA=.267, for leadoff duties. Let the two of 'em hit 7th and 8th. Neither brings much to the table these days except "excitement".

No comments: