Friday, April 15, 2005

Four in a row

On April 3, I would never have expected that 1) the Mets would be 4-5 at this point, and 2) I'd be ecstatic about it. But such an atrocious start will do strange things to a fan's perspective.

Jose Reyes's performance in the opening weeks has been much better than what I had prepared myself for. Or at least, he's doing about as well as one can when one stubbornly refuses to take a walk. He's batting .333 with an OBP of, you guessed it, .333. He's been at the center of the past two game-winning rallies, and while Phil Garner is right that he's not Babe Ruth, he's at least ressembling the Jose Reyes we'd been hoping for.

Speaking of Garner, he's apparently been studying at the Sour Grapes school of postgame quotes, last night's being "you can't defend a dribbler." I'm sure it's been done.

Hateration aside, the only thing standing between the Mets and a perfectly symmetrical first ten games is one Josh Beckett, who may not realize that the goatee is played out, but does know he can make hitters look even worse.

Thus far he is the top-ranked player per Yahoo fantasy baseball, which will happen when you still haven't allowed a run and rack up more K's than your lefthanded teammate. I'm keenly aware of this because I own him, and will simply have to root for the Mets to win on a couple of unearned runs.

Whatever. 5-5 or bust!

One last thing, I discovered this blog last night*. It's baseball related, but generally hilarious, and even has a daily mp3.

*Courtesy of Aaron Gleeman, by way of MetsGeek.

No comments: