Monday, April 18, 2005

Here's an idea

As a rule of thumb, why don't we put the best players in the organization on the major league team?

Since his much decried demotion, Heath Bell has saved three games for Norfolk in dominating fashion, striking out 11 and not allowing a single baserunner in 6.2 innings. As has been pointed out before, the Mets need to promote him and have him pitch the crucial innings that are now being entrusted to Manny Aybar and Mike Dejean. I would even submit, for your consideration, that the Tides may currently boast a better closer than the Mets.

I'd be more inclined to dismiss Looper's poor start if is his track record before he came to the Mets was especially impressive, but it's really not. His 2004 was far superior to anything he'd done for the Marlins, and will almost certainly go down as his career year.

His strikout rate was a respectable 6.48, a significant outperformance of his lowly 5.79 career mark. But even more dramatic was the improvement in his control, as he walked a Boomer-esque 1.73 batters per nine (his career rate? 3.25 BB/9). He may very well have "figured something out" that had eluded him for his first six full major league seasons. But it's hard to believe that the "old" Braden is gone forever, especially since he's already made a couple of appearances this year.

I'm not claiming that Looper isn't a valuable asset, but Bell looks just as good (far better so far this year), and his edge in strikeout ability may make him the most qualified righty to pitch the ninth.

Notes

From a reader to Buster Olney's blog (Insider, for some reason):

Eric (Simon?) from Brookyn:

I wouldn't say I'm a sabermatrician by any means, but I am beginning to look at it very closely, and your comments re: the Dodgers (I'm a Mets fan) struck me as premature. Now, I realize that -- as you clearly indicate -- it's difficult to predict what will happen on the basis of conventional wisdom as opposed to pure statistical data, but has the Dodgers play after their opening day loss effected the initial impression you took away from that loss?

Response from Buster:

Eric: I'm on the record as saying I thought the Dodgers' moves in the offseason were terrible. If they keeping winning, I'll look like a dope, without question.

I really blasted Buster for that article, and am not surprised someone called him out on the Dodgers' early showing (now 9-2). I especially like that Eric reminds Buster that his evangelism of conventional wisdom (as he sees it) was prompted by LA's opening day loss.

I give Buster credit for posting this letter and responding so frankly, but I still want to see him eat some serious crow on this one.

No comments: