Wednesday, February 09, 2005

PUMPED!

That's the headline on the back page of today's Daily News, with a picture of Pedro lifting what appear to be 15 lb. freeweights over his head. Seeing it on the subway this morning, I couldn't help but think that if you didn't know that the little Dominican guy with hair from "Sexual Chocolate" was one of the most feared athletes of his generation, he'd look a little ridiculous... but we do so he doesn't. Besides, as Eric and others have pointed out, he may have to carry the rotation with very little help from starters 2 through 5.

Tim Kurkjian says (Insider) that the Mets are the most improved team of the offseason, but not a playoff team, though they still have "the potential to contend." This is apparently Tim's entry into the Most Cryptic Prediction contest that's so popular at ESPN this time of year. I might as well go ahead and make mine now, before exhibition games start and I get all excited when Victor Zambrano goes 4 innings without walking a batter ("Peterson cured him! Praise Jesus!"):

NL East order of finish: Philadelphia, Florida, New York, Atlanta, Washington.

Call me crazy. I know a few other members of the MetsDaily "Blog Squad" have prudently taken Atlanta (because they always do) and Florida (rotation and Delgado). As much as I dislike all Philly teams, I think they have the best roster, and as much as I respect the Cox/Mazzone brain trust, I don't think they have the horses this year. Realistically I think every team in the division but the Nationals has a fighting chance for the Wild Card.

No comments: