Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I Recant

"We want to win with Mike Cameron." - Omar Minaya

"... Would we be willing to win without Mike Cameron? Sure, but at the moment I haven't seen the offer that will help us win more. Yes, I'm looking at you, Billy. So get ready, Met fans, for some of the most spectacular right field defense you've ever seen played!"
- Omar Minaya's unspoken meaning

This story had some great quotes from Cameron, too:

"There's everything flying all over."
- MC, in an apparent homage to the late Hunter S. Thompson.

"I'm a helluva guy."
- MC, on whether he resents Beltran for moving him to right. Yes, it was said in jest, but he's been whining about the move like a helluva little girl.

Anyway, I don't want exhibition games to start with me on record with a prediction that the Braves will finish 4th in the division. I can't explain exactly what I was thinking.

It may have been the hurt talking. So many seasons of watching the Mets be so much worse than the boys from CNN/Coca-Cola/Delta-ville. Something snapped and I said something that obviously isn't true and I apologize.

I can stand by the Phils as my favorites, but I simply lack the huevos to put the Mets ahead of the Perpetual NL East Champs. The Marlins? Maybe, but what I meant to write was:

1. Philly
2. Atlanta
3. Fish
4. The New Mets
5. Natty Lights

Yeah, I take it all back.


Notes:

Vinny's been all over the Cameron situation.

Gammons reports that Seattle has been discussing Randy Winn and Scott Spiezio as "bait" for Cameron. I don't have much love for Cammy, but that's chum.

I just completed the first of what will probably be several fantasy drafts. I have very few steals, but the hitting is fearsome at almost every position, and the staff has Unit, Halladay, and depth. Ryan, Takatsu, and Toronto Closer-For-Now Justin Speier. I figure it's easy money.

BP's Top 50 Prospects just dropped. I for one am shocked and appalled at the omission of Ryan Garko. At least we can be sure that the list was not compiled without plenty of spirited roundtable discussion. It sounded like Kahrl and Sheehan were about to throw down over to what extent Jeff Francis's ranking should be tempered by the Colorado factor. Call them nerds if you must, but these are serious men.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i was in that draft too. as for being easy money for you, you are right. its a free league. had it not been you could have refured to it as "my money". my good young nl pitchers along with santana will more than take care of randy and halladay. good luck anyway, and good writing on your blog. im impressed.
Stumped One