Thursday, July 28, 2005

THANK you!

That is what I am discussing!

A six run inning, a pair of home runs from an unlikely source; the kind of outburst that needs to happen at least once in the zero gravity XBH-chamber that houses the league's worst team. I didn't just want to avoid the sweep. I wanted them embarrassed, and took no less pleasure in it for the absence of Todd Helton.

Gary Cohen was in rare form, too. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who sees the demise of the Nationals as a question of "when" rather than "if". Nor am I the only one that's relishing their slide down the standings. Cohen, too, sounds decidedly annoyed that they had somehow managed to win so many games while getting outscored. A couple of lines (not verbatim): "You can only play above your head for so long." and "They'd been doing it with pitching, but their pitching... well it's not really that good!" Tell 'em, Gary.

Metsblog drops the dime on this Star-Ledger story, which makes it sound like some incarnation of the Soriano-Milledge/Godknowswhatelse deal almost got dunn. As much as I hate to say it, I'm wondering if maybe Francesa had a point the other day about how small a chance blue chip prospects have to become actual blue chip big leaguers. "Remember when Alex Escobar was untouchable?" Touche, Mikey, Touche.

My only retort: "Remember when we could have dealt David Wright for some schwaggy 4th SP?"

No comments: