Thursday, March 03, 2005

So it begins...

How 'bout that Jason Phillips, huh? In the words of John F. Kerry: Who among us doesn't love gap power? I think that's what he said, anyway... I've formed some scar tissue over my memory of his campaign, but I think that was the gist.

In any case, credit for the double should really go to Jeffrey Hammonds, who badly misjudged the ball, but it still had to get to the left field corner, didn't it? Jeff Brantley originally attributed the defensive lapse to Brad Wilkerson, calling it the product of youth and inexperience (B-Dub is 27, and has played in over 500 big league games).

Glavine was sharp enough, and the only runs surrendered were off of Heilman and Heredia, who we already knew were dreadful pitchers, so it can be thought of as a shutout.

Jose Guillen really did hit the pistachios out of that ball, though.

On the subject of the pitching staff: I've been reading and enjoying some growing counter-CW to the effect that the Mets bullpen will be just fine. From what I saw, the Reyes-Matsui tandem should be okay. They had a "You got it!"- "You got it!" moment which let a slow chopper go for a single, but otherwise looked a'ight.

Jim Bowden must have been pleased to see his acquisitions perform well. He should enjoy it while it lasts, because Guzman and Castilla are both liable to become full-blown embarrassments by July.

Watching the webcast on mlb.com, I was struck by two things:

1) the picture and audio quality are surprisingly good; so good that, were it in my best interest to have access to regular season broadcasts while at my office, I would consider subscribing.

2) the commentary, provided by Jeff Brantley, former GM Steve Phillips and a third guy, was cringe-inducing at every turn.

Broadcasters are entitled to shake off the rust too, I guess, but after the third consecutive inning of constant steroid-scandal jabber, I put down the headphones. Had Harold Reynolds been in the booth (as he was for today's Yankees-Pirates tilt), I would have probably done so even sooner. Jeff Brantley, in particular... Man, that is one country fried bubba.

No comments: